What's Cookin' with Serving Friends
We asked the designers of some of your favorite friendly objects to share what they’ve been cookin’ up in their kitchens lately. For our first recipe, Selena Liu shares the salad she’s been serving up with her creation, Serving Friends. We made it ourselves and all agree; it’s delicious. Get the recipe below!
Radicchio Salad with Caramelized Carrots & Onions
Makes 8–10 servings
• 1/2 cup sliced almonds
• 2 pounds carrots, cut into 4x1/2" sticks
• 1/2 cup olive oil, divided
• 2 tablespoons thyme leaves, divided
• 2 3/4 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
• 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, divided
• 2 medium red onions, cut into 1/2" wedges
• 2 garlic cloves, finely grated
• 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon sherry vinegar
• 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
• 1 tablespoon honey
• 1 large or 2 small heads radicchio (about 11 ounces), leaves separated and cut into medium pieces
• 4 oranges, peeled, sliced into 1/2" half moons • 2 cups parsley leaves
Preheat oven to 350°F. Toast almonds on a baking sheet, tossing halfway through, until golden brown, 8–10 min; set aside.
Cook carrots, 2 Tbsp. oil, 1 Tbsp. thyme, 1 tsp. salt, 1/4 tsp. red pepper, and 1 cup water in a large skillet over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until water is evaporated, about 15 min. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until carrots are lightly browned and tender, about 5 min.
Meanwhile, heat 2 Tbsp. oil in another large skillet over medium-high. Add onions, 1 tsp. salt, and remaining 1 Tbsp. thyme and 1/4 tsp. red pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are lightly browned and tender, 10–12 min.
Whisk garlic, vinegar, orange juice, honey, and remaining 1/4 cup oil and 3/4 tsp. salt in a large bowl. Add carrot mixture, onion mixture, radicchio, orange slices, and parsley and toss to coat. Top with reserved almonds.